Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Indian books

I usually pick up books written by Indian authors for my journey from Mumbai to Pune. Mostly I pick up books on an experimental basis and sometimes on recommendations.

Last weekend I bought two books:

Second Degree- Prashant John

The book takes us through one year spent by Prashant in IIM A for a Executive MBA.
Firstly lets talk about the good part:
-The book is well organized.. usually other Indian author books are either hurried or stray from the theme.
-The book gives one an inside view to how things work inside the IIM A campus. Probably the book may appeal more to IIM A students who have actually gone through the same things as described in the book.
-The language used in the book is good. Overall I would say that its very well written.

Now the negatives:
-Though the book is well written, it fails to impress me because there is no major plot in the story. It is in fact a journey with many small sub plots (which are very ordinary and sometimes even boring).
In my opinion Prashant John could make it big if his second book has a more stronger theme or storyline.


Love, Life and Dream On- Animesh Verma

No positives here.. only negatives:
- The book needed some serious editing and unfortunately for Mr.Animesh, the editor didn't go a very good job. The book is full of grammatical and spelling errors.
- Most of the book is full of repetitions. Reading the same thing over and over again every five pages isn't very interesting.
- The writing is below par, the concept is below par, event descriptions are below par, order of events is chaotic, order of dialogues is also chaotic.
- This is easily one of the worst books that I ever read. The only reason I completed it is to write this review.

1 comment:

sudeep said...

I have been grace(read "force")-fully given book called "Love, Life and Dreams on" to read and I will certainly update the blog with my comments on this review once I complete it. So wait for another zillion years [:D].