Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The school kid

It is strange, how certain memories which are tucked away in a remote corner of your brain, some things that you have totally forgotten about, things that dont matter (or do they?), come back in a flash!

Today as I was traveling to office in the cab, I noticed a school kid standing on the road....zip..zap..zoom!!!

Some years back, I used to travel to office on my motorbike. One fine day  saw a school kid trying to grab my attention on the road. He was small, frail and by the looks of it not from a very well to do family. The school uniform he was wearing suggested that he was from a school which wasn't very popular amongst the middle and upper classes.
However, here I was, early in the morning, driving to office and the kid trying to grab my attention. I slowed down and stopped some paces away from him. In the rear view mirror, I could see him running frantically towards me slowed down by his heavy bag, but not by his spirits.

"Uncle, school ke pass chod do na?" he asked with an innocent face.

"Kidhar hai tera school? Mai to aage se left loonga"

"Udhar tak chod do, wahan se nazdeek hai mera school"

"ok..aja peeche!!"

In an instant his face lit up and he started smiling. Soon we were on our way and I could see that he was tremendously enjoying the bike ride despite the chilly weather. Once I dropped him on the junction, where our paths separated, he smiled as shouted "Thank you uncle.." before running away.

I met this kid many times and offered him a lift every time we met. However, we never spoke anything of consequence and I dont even know his name.

After some days, I stopped coming on my bike and started using the office cab (changed timings).  I never saw the kid again, but I didnt stop thinking about him for some days.

Fate took its toll and I left the city, only to return back in 2 years. Other things occupied my mind and the boy was forgotten, as if he never existed.

Today, when I passed by the same street, I saw another kid dressed in the same uniform. Everything came back in a flash and I started to wonder.. "Where would he be, what would be doing, I hope he does well..."

Strange are the ways of the human brain.



2 comments:

FrostBite said...

Somehow, I think, your's is the only blog where I can read well written prose on experiences drawn from real life. Very subtle emotions and very normal incidences, but still, something that each one of us can find in common.

dreamcatcher said...

Thanks Manan.. whats up, hows life?