Friday, January 11, 2013

Brother v/s brother

Elder brother: Born in 1981
Advantage:Super fast bowler.

Younger brother: Born in 1987
Advantage: Batting genius.

Story teller: Elder brother
Year: 1997

"Should I reduce my pace? He's still just a kid..what if he gets hurt?" As I walked up to mark my run up ater celebrating yet another wicket, these were the thoughts racing through my mind.
In fact, every time I bowled to him, I though about this. Brotherly love always overcame my killer instinct as a bowler.

On the other hand, even from a distance of 40 yards, I could see the fierce determination in his eyes. The poise of a confident batsman. No hint of fear of facing someone with a reputation, twice his age and size. Fierce determination and concentration!

I had been taught to decide what delivery to bowl depending upon the conditions and the batsman' stance and capability. As I ran in to bowl, I changed my mind and decided to bowl an out cutter instead of an in cutter. BIG MISTAKE!!

As though by magic, he read my mind. He watched the ball till the very end, his eyes lit up and he whacked it over the rope.

Amongst cheers of his companions, he celebrated his assault, while I was subjected to mockery..

Second ball. I wasn't going to be the big brother this time. All my strength, all my focus, all my energy went into the next delivery. The ball must have kissed the speed of sound..I smiled as I delivered the ball..

He was quickly into position, very quick in fact and WHACK!!! Another super shot out of the park..

The smile was wiped off my face..

Wherever I bowled, however I bowled, the outcome was always the same..


He was the most gifted batsman I ever bowled to. I have no shame in admitting that he was better than me...maybe in every aspect of life

RIP brother!!

3 comments:

Gautam Raisinghani said...

Super fast bowler ??? Hahahahahaha My ass - that made my day !!!

FrostBite said...

Even with the inclusion of hyperbole, this write up makes an impact with its understated emotion. I have some experience of brotherly love, but none with brotherly competitiveness. Is always a spur to imagination how this battle between ball and bat played out....... thanks for whetting the appetite....:)

dreamcatcher said...

@normally_crazy: Underarm fast :)

Thanks@frostbite