Saturday, May 21, 2016

Bhaag...bhai..bhaag

I was overweight in 2008, not by much though. I needed to be 65 but was 80. Most of these 15 kgs were the effect of moving to a new city and surviving on outside food..almost all of it junk. Those were the days when the thing missed most was food cooked by mom. The weight gain was gradual and I never realized it till one day someone very close to me called me "mota".
I made a resolution never to be overweight again. I started brisk walking sessions and cut down on junk food. No burgers, no pizza,no samosas! I had sprouts for dinner every night for the next 3 months. Also cut down my calorie intake to half. One of my very good friends who is supremely fit told me " mate, it is not about eating less, it is about burning more calories than you intake. Go workout or play some sport." I didn't pay any heed and stuck to walking. There were nights when I couldn't sleep properly due to hunger, but I persisted. The results were great. I was 67 kg within 4 months. My next target was to maintain this weight for life.
Years passed and I never crossed 68 kgs. But somehow it didn't feel right. The same close friend joked about my bulging tummy one day and I realized that though I wasn't overweight, I wasn't fit either. Luckily within the same week Bhaag Milkha Bhaag happened.
It inspired me, helped me remove my mental block about running. I still remember my first day on the treadmill. I was out of breath and panting within 3 mins of jogging. After a jog-walk-jog-walk kinda workout for 30 mins when I stepped down the treadmill, the world around me was spinning and my legs were feeling like rubber. However I had managed to cover 2.75 kms and that gave me a high. Within the next few months cardio-workout regime every alternate day coupled with healthy food was the mantra. My weight was down to 63 and I was doing 3.75 kms in 30 mins when I quit the gym.
A year went by and I was back to 67 and back to my old ways when the office organized a mini marathon. We had to cover 3.5 kms and I saw an opportunity to get back to running. I finished the marathon in 30 mins, but by the time I crossed the finish line my heart was in my mouth and my chest was on fire.  I decided to make running a habit on that day. My close friend came 5th and I finished 51st in that race.
It's been a year since that day and due to regular practise, I can do 5 kms in 30 mins now. I eat what I want and am still able to maintain my fitness and weight. I run atleast twice a week, do weights atleast once a week and swim atleast twice  month.
The key to fitness is to beat your previous limits and strive for better every time you hit the road or the gym. It is also extremely important to find and inspiration that will keep you going. I am thankful to my good friends Nikhil and Vivek for being my inspiration.

No comments: