Friday, August 15, 2008

Best laid plans.

“We will have new light blue curtains for the master bedroom”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. And we need a flat screen TV for the hall. We can shift the old TV to the bedroom.”

OK ma'am. As you say.”

“By the way, did you think about what I told you day before yesterday?”

Hmmm…about what?”

“The car, dumbo! We will need a car.”

Ohh.. Right! Would a santro do?”

“Nopes. Santro is very common. We should have someone better and bigger.”

OK. Lets plan for a Hyundai Verna. I like it.”

“Yeah. That’s more like it. I will visit my parents twice-thrice a year.”

“Come one. That’s too much. Once is enough. I will miss you when you are gone.”

“Nope! Twice is compulsory. You can come with me if you want to.”

OK. Lets see how it goes. I know that you won’t be able to leave me and go for some many days.”

“Don’t challenge me. Where would we hold the marriage ceremony?”

Mumbai, obviously.”

“No ways! Chennai would be better; it would be closer to my home. All my relatives will find it comfortable.”

“What about my relatives?”

Hmmm..Bangalore then. It will be better for both sides.”

OK. Sounds good.”

“I would like to continue with my job after marriage.”

“I see no harm in that. But you have to take care of the house too.”

“You don’t have to say that. I will obviously do that. You handle the cooking, I will handle the rest.”

“What??”

“Just joking. I will take care of everything.”

“I forgot to tell you that you could work. But I will take care of your salary.”

“Please. In fact you have to give me your salary to handle the house.”

“Anything for you, ma’am.”

“Also you have to keep me happy.”

“That goes without saying.”

“No.. No… You don't get me. Happy means, you have to pamper me. Lots of gifts…”

Hmm..Go on. I am listening.”

“..Lots of shopping.. Lots of dining out.. Diamonds…Clothes…Other apparels…. Jewellery..”

“And?”

“And you have to always love me. Only me.”

“That is a little difficult.”

“What? You have to give me in writing on a stamp paper.”

“That I will love you always?”

“Yes.”

“Then lets call it off. I cannot do that.”

“You idiot. I am not joking.”

“But I am. I will give you in writing with my blood. Anything for you, ma’am!”

“That makes me happy. I will also love you forever.”

“I wont ask that in writing. I believe you.”

“Obviously. You not only have to love me, you have to love my family too.”

“Now, that’s asking for a bit too much.”

“What? Don’t say anything to my family.”

“I am not. I will try and love them too. But you have to love my family too.”

“That I will because I will come and stay at your house.”

Hmm.. What’s the connection?”

“You wont understand. ”

OK. Anything else?”

“No. That’s it for now. If anything else comes to my mind, I will let you know.”

“Sure, my Queen.”

“Yes, my King. Bye.”

“Bye.”




“Will you have tea?” She asks. I am back to reality. I look at her face. It's not the same face. It’s my wife. It’s been five years since we are married. I look around. The curtains are light cream. There is no flat screen TV. We own a Verna though. I have learnt to love her and also her family. Though I don’t pamper her, I keep her happy.

No comments: