Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Indiana Jones

I happened to watch three movies of the Indiana Jones Series in the last three days. Though all the three movies are beyond reality and melodramatic, I liked them because of the special effects used (which make things look real). It is really disheartening to see that what the West could do in the 80s, we are still not able to do today. I wish to write about these in the order I saw them.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989).
This is the best of the three movies. It might have the advantage of surprise because before watching this movie I had no clue what Indiana Jones movies were all about. Nevertheless, the movie was racy, thrilling and a pleasure to watch. Though the plot was similar to the earlier movies of the series (which I realized later) the casting was more solid and the dialogues more powerful. Sean Connery was by far the best actor in the movie.


Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).
This is the first Indiana Jones movie of the series. This movie too was fast paced, thrilling and fun to watch. The sets used in this movie were the best amongst the three movies. Harrison Ford carries the whole movie on his shoulders (like SRK in O.S.O). I would have definitely liked this movie more, if I had seen it before the Last Crusade.


Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).
This movie is the worst of the three. But the high standards set by the other two movies maybe the reason of my judgment. The movie surprisingly is based in India with Amrish Puri and Roshan Seth as villains. This movie is proof that for the West, China is the face of Asia. The Indian food was shown consisting of snakes, bugs, monkey brains etc. The movie is fast at times and drags on occasions. The comic element was childish and not as good as the other movies. I particularly hated the voice and accent of the Chinese kid.

I am looking forward to watch the fourth part, which was released recently.

1 comment:

Gautam Raisinghani said...

Don't bother with the 4th part. It's ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.