Wednesday, July 30, 2008

day on..power off

The monsoons have so far been bad this year. The Rain Gods seem to be on vacation this year. My life has been affected to an extent because of this. The city I stay in has started implementing power cuts and water cuts to combat the shortage in rainfall. There is nothing new in this strategy. Only in the best of conditions we function normally. A minor hitch and we collapse. Any ordinary Indian is aware that we are more of a reactive economy than a proactive economy. Ohh no rains…ok lets have power cuts and water cuts and this cut and that cut…Ohh floods...ok lets get life jackets and boats and this and that...We are something similar to this sms I received some days back “We work on the principle of rockets; we don’t start working until our ass is on fire.” Well said!!

There is nothing wrong with power cuts. But power cuts in the morning (early morning) are bad. Why can’t they have a power shutdown during any other part of the day? I mean any other time would do. Why do they have to ruin my life? Am I exaggerating??? Read on..

I bath everyday in the morning. Yes, its true, everyday!! My only requirement in the morning is warm water. The place I stay in has a storage kind of geyser, which takes its own time to heat the water (approximately 10-15 minutes). I normally set my alarm for 7:30 a.m. I get up at this time and switch on the geyser. Now I shall recount my experiences from last five days. That is when the power cuts have started.

Day 1 :
I got up at 7:30 a.m. as usual. As soon as I placed my fingers on the switch, to turn the geyser on… Zonk!!! The power went out. I made a mental note of the timing in my mind and stepped into the cold shower, shivering and cursing.

Day 2 :
I got up at 6:45 a.m. to combat the 7:30 issue. I was drowsy from lack of sleep. But when I switched on the geyser, I had a smile on my face. I had a long lazy hot shower. I was feeling like God. But when the power didn’t go out at 7:30 a.m. I started feeling nuts. 7:45..still no signs of the power going out!! I felt like killing myself for getting up early needlessly and left for office.

Day 3 :
I got up at 7:30 a.m. I switched on the geyser. I thanked God when the familiar red light came on. I smiled and headed to collect the newspaper. Zonk!!! I felt like cutting Sir’s hands off. I shivered under the freezing water. Two days out of three the power had gone out at 7:30. Noted!!

Day 4 :
I got up at 7:15 a.m. and to my disappointment found that there was no power. Wtf!! Sir had got the better of me again. I felt like a lower batsman against Muttiah Murlitharan, who was able to read my mind before bowling every delivery which beat my bat. Needless to say, I had a cold shower yet again.

Day 5 :
I could not sleep throughout the night. I got up at 5:30 a.m. and took bath in warm water. Then I went to sleep again. When I woke up at 8:00 a.m. the whirring fan made me feel dizzy. Sir had done it again! How the heck did he know what was going on in my mind!!


Power cuts for three to four hours a day is ok by me. It is my way of contributing to the bad rains. I have no issues with that. Sincerely!! But I have a request… rather humble request to who ever is in charge of shutting off the power for our area. The person whom I have addressed as Sir! Please lead a disciplined life Sir. Don’t fuck our lives with your indiscipline. Select a time and stick to it. I am sick of playing this game.

1 comment:

kulashaker said...

Like most Indian citizens...I hope civilian nuclear status of India should resolve power crisis in the future.

Having said that I wish we had politicians who were proactive and not reactive as you correctly said.