Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gap

I speak to my dad once or twice a year. FYI, I am staying in another town where I work. I usually visit my parents every alternate weekend. Though I see him once in every fifteen days, we usually end up not talking to each other. We have been silent for hours and hours ignoring each others presence during the days when I am home.

It is not the 200 k.m. distance between us that makes communication difficult. Nor is there any strain or fight between us. Infact we have mutual admiration for each other, which I have come to know from some close sources. But somehow my free flowing tongue is locked when he is around. Is this what people call "generation gap"?

It was not always the same. I used to talk to him regularly when I was a kid. But I cant even remember when our relationship changed and we stopped communicating. Maybe I see myself smarter now and feel that he should initiate the conversations. For him maybe I am still a kid and he feels that I should initiate the conversations.

Whatever the reason may be, I have decided that from now on I will initiate conversations with him. I will remove the gap that has formed between us because of me.

Yesterday was his birthday, but I wasn’t home. I called him up and wished him and even asked him for a party. He absent mindedly said that I could have my party on the weekend when I come home. I am happy and I feel he is happy too.

I am looking forward to the party.

No comments: